How does a Chimney Sheep® draught excluder work?
A Chimney Sheep® draught excluder is made from highly durable and naturally breathable Herdwick wool, from a Herdwick sheep. The wool is treated with a unique ionic protect plasma which makes it 100% moth proof and aids with the longevity of the Chimney Sheep® (we have customers that have had the same ones for nearly 10 years!). It is then felted to create a unique flexible yet sturdy material. This makes the Chimney Sheep® perfect to plug the gap just above a fireplace.
In contrast to inflatable chimney blockers and chimney umbrellas, which require a small gap to be left in your flue to allow ventilation, the woollen pad of the Chimney Sheep® compresses to fit flues of all shapes and sizes making it far more efficient than any other chimney draught excluder on the market
Once inserted into your chimney flue the 4.43 tog rated Chimney Sheep® acts like a duvet, blocking 94% airflow into and out of your chimney, whilst naturally permitting sufficient ventilation due to the wonderful properties of Herdwick wool. It works to prevent warm air from escaping up the chimney and stopping cold air coming in via the chimney when not in use, reducing the ‘stack effect’ phenomenon.
It is as simple as that!
Does a Chimney Sheep® REALLY work?
It really does! Don’t take our word for it, here is all the evidence:
- We are the only chimney draught excluder to have a BBA Agrément Certificate. The achieve this the Chimney Sheep® had to go through numerous laboratory tests, on-site evaluations, quality management checks and product inspections, over several years, passing all the assessments to gain the award. The BBA is a worldwide credible industry body and the certificate means that Chimney Sheep® are recognised by building control, government departments, specifiers, and insurers as meeting the BBA’s standards of quality, safety and reliability; providing you and them with reassurance of the product’s fitness for purpose.
- Rigorously tested by BSRIA and University of Liverpool which showed that a Chimney Sheep® will stop around 4.5% of household heat from escaping and therefore save users around £50 off the heating bill per year, per chimney and up to 250kg of CO2 per year chimney, working to reduce energy bills going into winter.
- Hailed as one of Grand Designs host, Kevin McCloud’s ‘Green Heroes’.
- DIY Doctor 5* review – read the full review, here.
What are the benefits of using a Chimney Sheep® draught excluder?
The list is endless but here are a few of the main benefits:
- Reduces your energy bills by up to £50 per year!
- Reduces your annual carbon footprint by up to 250kg of CO2
- Reduces chimney noise (you can turn your TV volume down now…)
- Prevents wildlife and debris from falling in and stops the cat jumping up!
Are Chimney Sheep® sustainably made?
Absolutely. We are really passionate about the environment and sustainability. Everything from our sourcing of wool to our packaging is chosen with the environment in mind and the aim of our reducing our carbon footprint as much as we can.
All Chimney Sheep® are made here in our factory in Maryport, Cumbria, using Herdwick wool sustainably sourced from farmers around Cumbria. We collect the wool once a year which we call our ‘Operation Wool’ project. We pay the local farmers a fair price for this which is usually more than the market price and helps to support them.
The felt head of a Chimney Sheep® usually lasts about 10 years and is 100% wool which means it is completely biodegradable and compostable. The handles are made with recyclable plastic therefore are extremely durable and designed to last for decades. We have designed them so that when the felt head does wear out, you can just replace it with a new felt head and keep the same handle to reduce waste and the use of excess plastic. When the time comes and you have to say goodbye to your felt head, get in touch with us.
By using a Chimney Sheep® you are doing your bit to reduce your carbon footprint and we are really passionate about helping you to reduce your CO2 output even further. That is why we have set up our very own Community Interest Company, Buy Land Plant Trees, so that with each purchase a proportion of the profits will go towards planting trees on agriculturally poor land. Fancy reading some more about Buy Land Plant Trees? Click here!
How do I work out what size of Chimney Sheep® I need?
All you need to do is measure your chimney. We promise, it sounds more complicated than it really is! Head over to our simple instructions which walk you through it. If you do have any trouble though, just get in touch and we can help!