Why is wool great for insoles?
There are LOTS of reasons! In fact, we think wool is one of the best materials for insoles because it really is functional. Here are a few some of wool’s unique qualities that make it the perfect material to use for insoles:
- Odour resistant – this is one of the main reason’s wool is so brilliant for insoles. In fact, better than most manmade material insoles. As you may already know, human sweat does not actually smell. It is the bacteria that develops over time in our clothes or shoes that causes body odour. Wool naturally absorbs and locks way odours during wear. The wool fibre actively binds odours within its fibre where bacteria do not thrive. As a result, the garment remains fresher for longer. Clever hey?
- Naturally breathable – wool has a unique structure that allows it to absorb and release moisture (such as sweat) without affecting its thermal efficiency. I can absorb up to 30 per cent of its own weight, even when next to skin.
- Extra warm – thanks to wool’s hygroscopic abilities these insoles will help to keep your feet nice and warm. That is also why wool works so well for our 100% Sheep’s Wool Insulation!
- Hypoallergenic – wool is resistant to bacteria that can trigger skin irritations in some people.
- ‘Bouncy’ – the insoles are 10mm thick so add a great bit of comfort and bounce!
- Completely natural – our insoles are made of 100% Herdwick Sheep’s wool from Cumbria that we collect during our Operation Wool project every year.
- Sustainable – wool is one of the most sustainable materials on the planet because it is totally renewable thanks all the lovely sheep we have in the UK.
- Compostable after their long life – these insoles should last you a good few years but, like all good things, they must come to an end. BUT the insoles are made with 100% wool, they are fully compostable! Hooray!
If you want to read more about the wonders of wool visit the Campaign for Wool website where they have lots of cool facts about wool!
What shoes can I use these wool insoles for?
They are suitable for all shoes really, but we love using our insoles in walking boots, winter boots, wellingtons, gardening shoes and our slippers!
What size insoles do I need?
Our wool insoles come in two different sizes: a smaller size (UK shoe size 4-8) and a larger size (UK shoe size 9-12). Both are 10mm thick.
With everyone’s feet being different shapes and sizes, we have designed the insoles so that you can measure them to fit your own feet. To get the best fit, take the insole out of the boot or shoe you are planning to fit the wool insoles into. Use this as a template to cut your new (and much comfier!) wool insole and tadaah! Cosy, fresh smelling insoles that will fit perfectly in your shoe. After some wear, the insoles will compress down and mould to the exact shape of your foot.